FOUND: Classy Patent Platforms for Day

Friday, July 21, 2006


I have been in love with the fun new patent leather platform shoes since I spotted an amazing pair from Christian Louboutin in Vogue last season. They were high, but with a sizable platform for comfort, and made from the most delicious, of-the-moment black patent leather. I had to have them. The problem: $600 for one pair of shoes is not in my budget. I searched high and low for a suitable replacement pair that wouldn't take half my paycheck, but the "under $150" versions looked more like they should be prancing around a pole in Vegas, not peeking out from under my Ernest Sewn jeans. Thankfully, this season the more budget-conscious labels have come through with classy versions of the patent leather platform that are daytime appropriate and won't break the bank. Hooray!

This pair from the fledgling Jessica Simpson brand (top left) sports three trends in one-- patent, platform, and cork-- for a very modern look that would work just as well with your favorite pair of jeans or a sleek pencil skirt. It is available in several colors, including goes-with-anything black and feisty red, on Amazon.com, but I'm crazy about the fresh look of white for daytime. The summery peep-toe from Steven by Steve Madden (right), also available in red and black patent as well as regular leather versions, has a more refined stacked heel that makes it appropriate for a creative office environment.