Girl Talk: Quick Fix Beauty Products

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How often do you find yourself in this situation: you have exactly 5 minutes to get ready, but your face looks more like it needs 5 hours of help. When you only have time to use one or two products in an attempt to revive your tired look, which items do trust to make you look like a million in under 30 seconds? I turned to our Stiletto Jungle Girl Talk Panel to see what these lovely ladies count on for quick fix beauty.

Eau Thermale Avene Thermal Water Spray
Eau Thermale Avene Thermal Water Spray
$28.00
Available at: FrenchCosmeticsForLess

"When I've been to the tanning salon and my skin is all dehydrated, or I've spent a night out on the town with my husband and our son has a 7:00 a.m. baseball game, Eau Thermale Avene Thermal Water Spray (left) really makes my skin instantly refreshed and hydrated," offers Michelle, a 40-year-old nurse from Huntington Beach, California. "It's truly awesome."

Some of our other Girl Talk panelists weren't so forthcoming with their quick fix beauty secrets. When I put this week's question to Kim, a 23-year-old from La Jolla, California, she was quick to offer baby powder in the hair as a favorite quick fix. "I tend to go a couple days without washing my hair," admits Kim. To deal with the inevitable greasies and limpness "I dab baby powder on my roots and rub it in with my fingertips [then] ...I blow dry the area to get instant volume for a wonderful evening out."

Fresh Supernova Mascara
Fresh Supernova Mascara$25.00
Free Shipping (code: MODE)
Available at: eLUXURY

Great tip. Any other quick fix secrets you want to give up?

"My second major beauty tip... I almost do not want to reveal."

Come on, Kim, I won't tell a soul.

"Fresh mascara (right)... is amazing. It only comes in black and it's the shiniest black mascara ever. It makes anyone's eyelashes look fake," Kim divulges.

Hey, I'm all for fake lashes minus the glue and awkward tweezer work. A good mascara is also essential to Tina, a 34-year-old attorney in San Diego, California. "MAC Mascara... can make my eyes stand out and look dramatic even in the winter time when I am totally pale and washed out. I like MAC because it adds contrast without icky clumps," offers Tina. Another quick fix for Tina is MAC Studio Fix powder foundation. "... it is the fastest way to have good coverup that corrects my imperfections, and doesn't look thick and icky," Tina explains. "I think that liquid makeup is just too messy; the powder goes on quick and light. I love that stuff!"

City Cosmetics City Lips Lip Plumper Gloss
City Lips Lip Plumper
$10.00
Available at: Amazon.com

Hydrated and perfected skin, a fresh blowout, and mile-long lashes will do wonders for your look, but the favorite quick fix of the Girl Talk ladies is a swipe of lip gloss or lip color to instantly brighten the face and add a little bit of polish. For Po, a 28-year-old attorney in Ceres, California, the ultimate quick fix is her trusty MAC lipstick in Fresco. "The color just brings more life to face instantly," gushes Po.

"I'm recommending two different glosses for different reasons," explains Pearl, a 28-year-old LA-based music industry coordinator. First up, C.O. Bigelow Ultra Mentha Lip Shine. "I carry this stuff with me everywhere... it isn't super goopy and stays on," offers Pearl, "it's pretty versatile... a little goes a long way [and] I love that it's mint flavored, for whatever reason you want your lips to taste minty!"

Pearl's other pick is City Cosmetics City Lips Lip Plumper (above left). "I highly recommend this one for a night out when you aren't carrying any lipstick because not only does this plump up your lips just a bit, but it also brings color to them," Pearl reports. "I've tried a bunch of different plumpers, and this is my favorite. It doesn't feel like your lips are being scorched by a thousand needles either, which is always a plus."

I agree with you, Pearl, about the avoiding lip glosses that feel like you are being "scorched by a thousand needles" thing. Ouch. "Random Chick," a 29-year-old executive assistant and freelance writer, also offers up a lip gloss as one of her two favorite quick fixes for those times when she is running from work to a social engagement.

"The first and most important [quick fix product] is lip gloss, preferably one with a lot of shine and staying power. It's super low maintenance and puts the visual focus on your lips instead of your eyes, which may be tired-ish by 7:00 p.m. on Thursday. Furthermore, having it on makes you feel a little freshened up, which does wonders for your social sparkle after a stressful week."

Wow, "Random Chick," looks like you've given this some real thought.

Christian Dior Solo Dior Single Eyeshadow - 002 Vanilla

Christian Dior Solo Dior Eyeshadow

$19.00 (was $22-- save 14%!)
Available at: StrawberryNet

"I am constantly trying new lip glosses, and always have several in reach. I actually have 5 in my purse as we speak," divulges "Random Chick." "Along with lip balm, SPF chapstick, and a lip pencil, but anyway... my current favorite gloss is... Goldie Mini Lip Gloss in Nylon."

Wow. Now that we've got the gloss covered, what's your other quick fix secret?

"... a touch of white eyeshadow to the inner corner of the eye, which instantly makes you look fresher and more awake. The key here is not to over-do it: you want to look awake, not like someone hit you in the back of the head with a board. And it's a good idea to not have the shadow be shiny or opalescent. For the quick-fix it should be a matte, and you gently smudge a tiny bit on the inner corner with your pinky finger."

I completely agree, "Random Chick," one should not handle shiny, opalescent, or otherwise glittery eye makeup when they are in a hurry. It's just asking for trouble. Stiletto Jungle recommends Christian Dior Solo Dior Single Eyeshadow in 002 Vanilla (above right).

Click on any photo or linked text to link directly to where you can purchase that quick fix beauty product online. Curious about the ladies of the Girl Talk Panel? You can read their bios, see photos of the girls, and hear about their top fashion and beauty must-haves at "Meet the Stiletto Jungle Girl Talk Panel."

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Stiletto Jungle and get free updates by e-mail or RSS.

Related Stories:
>>
Meet The Stiletto Jungle "Girl Talk" Panel
>>
GWP Alert: Free Full Size Lancome Gloss or Clinique Eyeshadow Duo
>>
GWP Alert: Free 7-Piece Lancome Sampler + Free Shipping