Power Shower: 16 Products to Get You In and Out Fast

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

You know the scenerio. It's Monday morning and you've hit the snooze button one too many times. Or it's Friday night and just as you settle in on the couch your BFF calls. She's scored VIP status at the hottest club in town. You need to take the world's fastest shower, but you don't know what part of your routine to sacrifice in the name of speed. You want to be quick and cute. What's a girl to do?

It's time to Power Shower. No need to sacrifice your beauty routine in order to get in and out and on your way. Shower smarter! My ideal shower goes a little something like this: wash and exfoliate face, shampoo and deep condition hair, wash and exfoliate body, shave, and then get out and slather every inch of my body in lotion. Total time: about 35 minutes. Ouch. That kind of routine gets me nowhere fast. In my quest for a quick, thoroughly beautifying shower I have found some great double duty products.

1. Face.
Is you face clean and makeup free, as it should be in the morning? If so, skip the cleanser and head right to exfoliation. After splashing water on your face, use Clinique 7-Day Scrub Cream to slough off dead skin, leaving a brighter you. Still got a full face of makeup because you just got home from work? No need to do makeup remover then cleanser. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser is a makeup remover and cleanser in one. It can melt away even mascara and thick foundation while gently cleansing your skin. I swear by this stuff.

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser


→ Buy the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, $38.00, at sephora.com.


2. Body.
Exfoliate your body while you wash by pairing an anti-aging body wash, such as Dove Visible Care Replenishing Body Wash or Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Advanced Anti-Aging Body Wash, with exfoliating gloves. You'll be clean and soft in no time.

Too rushed to do body wash? The ultimate super quick wash and exfoliate product is Bliss Scrub Soaps. Mammoth Minty Scrub Soap and Lemon + Sage Body Bar are my faves. They pack super strength cleaning, excellent exfoliation, and yummy scents all in one product. I can't even explain how much I love Bliss Scrub Soaps. You'll have to try them to understand.

Bliss Mammoth Minty Scrub Soap


→ Buy the Bliss Mammoth Minty Scrub Soap, $18.00, at blissworld.com.


3. Hair.
Do your greasy locks absolutely need to be washed? If you have short hair or hair that has not been chemically treated, try a two-in-one shampoo and conditioner. Pantene makes six different ones that are designed for different hair types and really do condition.

Have long or processed hair? Yeah, mine is both. I rinse my locks as soon as I step into the shower then I work a walnut sized dollop of Living Proof No Frizz Conditioner through my hair and let it set while I finish my showering. I rinse just before I get out. The oils in the conditioner actually help break down the excess oils in your hair, while still being super moisturizing. The result is soft hair that is much cleaner.

Of course, the quickest way to deal with your hair is to not wash at all. Instead, try hair powder to soak up oils and add volume. Bumble and Bumble and Oscar Blandi both make excellent hair powders and good old Johnson's Baby Powder will do in a pinch.

Bumble and Bumble Blondish Hair Powder


→ Buy the Bumble and Bumble Blondish Hair Powder, $35.00, at sephora.com.


4. Shave.
I swear by my Aveeno Theraputic Shave Gel and Gillette Mach 3 Razor as the ultimate in hair removal, but sometimes I just don't have the time. When skipping shaving altogether is just not an option I reach for the Schick Intuition All-In-One Razor. It's not perfect-- I think it's murder on your knees and ankles-- but it's quick and it gets rid of enough hair to allow you to wear a skirt without embarrassment.

Schick Intuition Plus Moisturizing Care Pack


→ Buy the Schick Intuition Plus Moisturizing Care Pack, $9.49, at drugstore.com.


5. Lotion.
I refuse to go without moisturizing head to toe after each shower. Period. I've tried those body washes that claim to moisturize while you cleanse, but they aren't enough for me. When I absolutely do not have time to moisturize I turn to Aveeno Shower & Bath Oil. Just before you get out of the shower step away from the water and slather this rich oil all over. It's super quick because you don't need to rub it all the way in. Then, step back under the water to gently rinse away the excess and then pat dry. The result is as close to a head to toe lotion treatment as I have found, and it's lightning quick.

Aveeno Shower and Bath Oil


→ Buy the Aveeno Shower & Bath Oil, $6.99, at drugstore.com.


Are you ready to Power Shower? Click on any photo or linked text to link directly to where you can purchase that Power Shower product online.


This post originally appeared in May 2007. It has since been updated.