Girl Talk: Faux Glow or No Glow?

Thursday, June 21, 2007

I have recently discovered that I have a small obsession with achieving perfectly glowing skin. My makeup bag and skin care shelf are both filled to the brim with every type of self tanner, bronzer, and highlighting potion known to man. I just can't quit my quest to get the just right glow. The question is: am I alone in my quest? And, if I'm not, is there some ingenious product out there that I don't know about yet?

NARS Monoi Body Glow II
Nars Monoi Body Glow II
icon$59.00
Available at: Beauty.com

I put the question to the Stiletto Jungle Girl Talk panel. How do you faux glow? The answers I got were mighty surprising. From no glow to a list of glow-inducing products that rivals my own in length. So, ladies, lay it on me.

"Umm, ok, so I'm brown already... don't think I have any need for a faux glow. I got the real thing, baby!" offers Pearl, a 29-year-old music industry diva with naturally cafe-colored skin. "I don't really use any highlighters or shimmer lotions [either], so I think I'm going to have to sit this one out."

Seriously, Pearl? Not even a touch of shimmer? I understand the lack of need of tanning products, but every girl could use a little glimmer here and there. I suggest Benefit Kitten for you. The golden, as opposed to silvery, glow is perfect for darker skinned women and Kitten comes with a huge puff that makes it easy to apply to any part of your body. If you are looking for a stunning glow sans shimmer (it is possible!), give Nars Monoi Body Glow II oil (top left) a try. It's simply fabulous and smells like a tropical paradise. Any other no-glow girls out there?

"You know me, I spend tons of time at the beach in the water and, even with SPF 50, I tend to have a tan all year round," admits Tina, a 34-year-old attorney from sunny San Diego, California. "I am careful to use SPF all the time, but all that time in the sun means I just can't help it. I have used bronzers before in the winter month to add little color."

Puh-lease ladies, I can't be the only faux glow girl out there. What about you, Po? I know I've seen your skin in the glowing way before. It's stunning. What's your secret?

LORAC Bronzer For the Face, Warm Glow
Lorac Bronzer
icon$28.00
Available at: Beauty.com

"I love MAC's Iridescent Powder in Belightful. I recommend it to everyone I know," says Po, a 28-year-old attorney with sun-kissed southeast Asian skin. "A friend tipped me on this after she had her makeup done by a wedding makeup artist. Belightful is this beautiful, shimmery pressed powder that, when applied on temples, gives a slightly glittery but natural-looking, luminous glow. I don't believe it's meant to be put all over the face-- just above cheekbones and other places that highlight your profile. After I first used it and saw the effect on photos, I realized that this must have been the beauty secret of celebrities! Now I use it practically every time I go out. It just gives that extra ooomph to complete a glamorous look."

Ooh, Po, thanks for the tip. I've never used Belightful, but I'm definitely going to give it a try now. I always wondered how some people just manage to radiate in photos.


The Body Shop Shimmer Lotion
$8.00 (was $16-- save 50%!)
Available at: TheBodyShop.com

"Lorac Bronzer (right) is amazing," says Kim, a 23-year-old native of La Jolla, California, who has a naturally light-olive skin tone. "Although it comes in compact form, it does wonders wherever you put it, [but] there is a limit. I put it on my cheeks instead of blush and it automatically makes me looked sunkissed. I also recommend using L'oreal Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion-- streak free-- on your legs. I would not use it anywhere else if you have sensitive skin, such as mine. I use it when I'm going out and wearing a mini-skirt, or you can put it on everyday for a gradual tan. If I already have a glowy face after laying out, I love to skip powder. Instead, I put a little MAC Silver Dusk Powder on my face and chest. I put it on with a huge brush so it doesn't get caked on. If I want some shimmer on the rest of my body I usually use my Body Shop Shimmer Lotion (left)."

Seems that I'm not the only one who has a bit of a fascination with glowing skin. I totally agree with the Lorac and L'oreal recommendations-- I've used both with fabulous results! And, with two big endorsements, it seems that MAC's shimmery powders are definitely worth a try. I might just go grab me some this weekend. Glow on!

Click on any photo or linked text to link directly to where you can purchase that glow-ful item online. Don't miss a single Girl Talk discussion. Subscribe to Stiletto Jungle and get free updates by e-mail or RSS.

Related Stories:
>> Girl Talk Reviews: Smart Heel High Heel Protectors
>> Girl Talk: Beauty Product Re-Mixes
>> Girl Talk: Finding a Signature Scent