Girl Talk Reviews: Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bond No. 9 is the perfume of New York, known for its super upscale neighborhood-inspired scents. Saks Fifth Avenue is the heart of New York style, located smack in the middle of iconic 5th Avenue. So, what happens when the two collide? The first time ever that a specialty store has commissioned a perfumery to design a scent, that's what.

This Saturday, September 1, marks the launch of Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her. According to Bond No. 9, "Saks Fifth Avenue for Her signals the return of the classic gardenia eau de parfum, given a chic contemporary twist with the addition of sparkling jasmine and vetiver, along with smooth vanilla. This all-white bouquet captures the fashion-forward essence of 21st century Saks, while at the same time expressing the eclectic downtown spirit of NoHo-based Bond No. 9." Sounds heavenly, right?

Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her
Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue

$125.00 - $185.00
Available at: SaksFifthAvenue.com

Here at Stiletto Jungle, we were excited enough just to hear about this hot new scent. Imagine our delight when the nice people at Bond No. 9 offered to give us a first sniff of their brand new perfume. We took the opportunity seriously and each member of the Stiletto Jungle Girl Talk Panel took to the streets (and to work and to play) wearing Saks Fifth Avenue for Her.

"My husband and I went out on the town Saturday night wearing our new fragrances," explained Michelle, a 41-year-old nurse from Huntington Beach, California. "I loved it! As we know, Michael Kors is my favorite perfume and Saks Fifth Avenue smells very much like it. A few people thought it smelled a lot like Michael Kors and loved it. I would say I heard more 'I love' than 'I dislike' from people who commented. A lot of people wanted me to e-mail them with the launch date. It was a big hit and I felt like a million wearing it. I woke the next morning still loving the smell. It out lasted any perfume I've ever worn. I put a little dab on the next morning for work and 8 grueling hours at the hospital and a session in the tanning salon later it was still going strong! I can't wait to buy it and put Michael Kors away."

Wow Michelle, that's a glowing recommendation from someone who raves non-stop about her love of Michael Kors. You're right in that they have a similar scent-- both Michael Kors and Saks Fifth Avenue for Her have a gardenia base. I know not all of you are fond of floral scents, so let's hear from the anti-floral girls. Hannah, how did the floral Saks sit with you?

"Well, honestly, I didn't like the Saks for her," admits Hannah, a 31-year-old SoCal freelance writer. "It is powerfully floral... I am minimally floral and I think anyone who knows me would agree. No one noticed I was wearing it. Probably either because I did not put much on so as to avoid being overwhelmed by floral sweetness, or because I spend the day surrounded by construction guys who: a) are less than observant when it comes to stuff like perfume to begin with, and b) I try to avoid being with in sniffing range of anyway. I will not wear it again, not in the least because of it's ability to affront my olfactory glands for the entire day. I am not sure who might like this fragrance for themselves, but I do have a couple friends I think it might smell good on. They are all much girlier and petite than I am, but I mean that in a good way. It is a very very feminine scent."

"Honestly, the women's fragrance just really wasn't my bag [either]," says 29-year-old Pearl, an true "marine scent" devotee who works in new media for Interscope Records. "I am EXTREMELY picky about fragrances and haven't found anything I like as much as my signature scent, Acqua di Gio. I found this fragrance to be too strong. It did stay on all day, but I don't like perfumes that I can constantly smell on me. It felt like the perfume was wearing me, instead of me wearing the perfume, if that makes any sense. It just never seemed to really gel with my body chemistry and I felt like it was overpowering. I don't think I'll wear it again, but I could see how women who shop at Saks would like this fragrance-- it's more of an upscale fragrance, and reminds me of wealthy women who wear strong perfume."

How about you Po? I suspect that, as a big fan of the grapefruit and grenedine scented Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll, you weren't loving the floral Saks either.

Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her Swarovski Crystal Edition
Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue
Swarovski Crystal Edition

$550.00
Available at: SaksFifthAvenue.com

"It reminded me of cotton candy. It had an overly sweet, strong smell to it and I was not crazy about the scent," says 28-year-old attorney Po. "It was strong from the moment I opened the vial to the moment I put it on my skin. It's not a bad scent-- just not something I like. I guess one word to describe it would be 'overwhelming.' I did not feel comfortable with this scent."

So Po, who do you think would be right a right fit for Saks Fifth Avenue for Her?

"It would take a very original girl who does not like ordinary scents. I'm thinking someone like Nancy Drew."

Hmm, Nancy Drew. How do you feel about that, Tina?

"I tried the Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue for her and loved it," offers Tina, a 34-year-old San Diego, California, attorney. "It is such a light scent and it worked with my body chemistry. I actually received several compliments the two days that I did wear it. I have a hard time finding scents that don't change on me during the day... I tend to have them turn musk-like or sour. This scent lasted all day as a subtle scent. I really like it and would recommend it. I think it is great for women that don't want to be over powered. You can always control the amount of scent, but some are just STRONG even in small doses and Saks for her is just not that way."

I think that testimony is proof that scent really is different for everyone. What is strong for one person is light for another and what is too floral for one is perfect for someone else. What about you Kim? I seem to remember you being fond of the floral Hanae Mori. I bet Saks was just right for you.

I found the "Saks Fifth Avenue for Her [to be] soft and feminine," says Kim, a 23-year-old recent college graduate. "I could see a lady wearing this for an everyday scent. The professional, fast-paced female will love this perfume because it won't overwhelm the people she will be around with an intense smell, nor will the smell disappear with a days work. It is light on the skin and does not overwhelm me with perfume when it is on me. I would wear this scent again. I like how gently it went on-- without giving me an allergic reaction. It has a floral scent with a mint finish. It goes on well after a shower, to add to the fresh feeling."

The bottom line? The new Bond No. 9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her is perfect for a woman who is fond of sophisticated floral scents. Are you more into citrus scents, like Po, or marine scents, like Pearl? Then Saks may not be the right scent for you. Interested in giving it a whiff for yourself? Saks Fifth Avenue for Her will be available exclusively at Saks Fifth Avenue stores and online at SaksFifthAvenue.com starting September 1. Click on the photos to link directly to the Bond No. 9 section at SaksFifthAvenue.com where, after September 1, you will be able to purchase this brand new fragrance online. Don't miss any Girl Talk Reviews. Subscribe to Stiletto Jungle and get free updates by e-mail or RSS.

Related Stories:
>> Girl Talk: The Magical Drugstore Moisturizer
>> Girl Talk: Tress-Taming Hair Products
>> Girl Talk: How Do You Scrub Up?