Grammy Style Spotlight: Edun

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Edun Silk Twill Shift Dress in Japonica Print
Edun Silk Twill Dress

$295.00
Available at: saks.com

Recently I had the chance to visit the Grammy Style Studio to get a sneak peak at the hottest designers catering to the stars this year. I spotted two designers that were so worthy of a mention that they deserved their own spotlight. First up: Edun.

Edun is a brand that I first found out about right here at Stiletto Jungle. I read an article on the Edun ONE t-shirt and how Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson, had started a socially conscious clothing line to help fight the extreme poverty in Africa by encouraging others to do business and improve working conditions and build sustainable communities in Africa. This cause hit home for me, and I absolutely wanted to participate in some way. They ended up selling tens of thousands of t-shirts worldwide and the Edun label was born.

This was my top priority label when I arrived at the Grammy Style Studio; I couldn’t wait to check out their new tees and see what else the company has offered since the ONE t-shirt. Imagine my surprise when Ali Hewson herself was there to explain all the pieces and the Edun mission! I was absolutely mesmerized when she talked about how certain pieces were worked on by workers in different parts of Kenya or Lesotho and I realized that this brand is not only a socially conscious one, but they are making a difference in the world in a very direct and immediate way. 50% of the Edun Spring/Summer 08 line is organic, and each piece has a unique story.

Edun Organic Cotton Butterfly Tee
Edun Organic "Butterfly" Tee

$55.00
Available at: saks.com

Hewson explained that the idea behind their clothing is to pair the notion of classic romance with a splash of danger. For example, one of their new prints features flowers with stems and thorns (top left); another a gorgeous and vibrant red poppy print on a dress and matching scarf (keep an eye out for the new Persephone mini dress in Poppy print). I also really loved the Dyonisis shirt dress in Night Shadow, this beautiful silky fabric dress in a charcoal grey shade with sash tie and buttons down the front. Keep an eye out for an especially cool tee that has a print of dragon fly wings on the back. I’m definitely picking this one up when it hits the market, because I do indeed feel as if I am carrying the Edun story and mission with me when I wear this clothing line.

Also check out the Edun Live tee line, which features the fabulous tees from the ONE collection, made of 100% African cotton. I can tell you from experience this is one very soft tee. Click on either photo to link directly to where you can purchase that item from the current season of Edun online. Don't miss our continued Grammy Style Studio coverage. Subscribe to Stiletto Jungle and get free updates by e-mail or RSS. Take Stiletto Jungle with you wherever you surf with the Stiletto Jungle Connect Toolbar featuring Google search.
___________


Pearl C. is the Stiletto Jungle Music Editor. Originally from the east coast, Pearl has called SoCal home for the past eight years. Currently based in glammy Los Angeles, Pearl plays amongst the stars as a digital diva for Interscope records. Pearl has a B.A. in English, a law degree, and a spot-on gift for finding the best party in town.


Related Stories:
>> Exclusive: Stiletto Jungle at The Grammy Style Studio
>> Online Exclusive: The Ugg Australia Trunk Show at Nordstrom
>> FOUND: Rachel Bilson's Pumpkin Handbag