Girl Talk: Spring Fashion Must-Haves

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Women: Cotton short trenchcoat - White
Cotton Short Trenchcoat

$148.00
Available at: bananarepublic.com

Spring has sprung and that means it's time to start thinking about those must-have items that will be gracing your closet when the heat is really on. Sure, the fashion glossies are all about fisherman sandals perched on mile-high heels, super bright colors, and painterly prints, but what will real-world fashionistas be rocking this spring? I called in the Stiletto Jungle Girl Talk panel to get the low down on their spring fashion must-haves.

"I need a light spring jacket that I can wear with most anything, day or night," says 29-year-old Po, a Modesto, California, attorney. "I found this incredibly cute jacket a few months ago at Banana Republic that is incredibly stylish and has pretty much matched with jeans and nice dresses. [pictured top left] I bought this jacket in December but have been saving it for the spring. I love this jacket, but I have to admit that I have one issue with it: the buttons do not seem sturdy as they are falling off. Even with that, I believe it is a steal at the price it is being sold now. I could have sworn I paid much more than the price I am seeing online."

I fully agree, Po. A lightweight jacket is a true spring must-have. Just so happens that my fave lightweight jacket is also a Banana Republic find. I picked mine up two years ago and still wear it all the time.

G by Guess Hula flip flop
G by Guess "Hula" Flip-Flop

$19.50
Available at: gbyguess.com

"So, I LOVE G By Guess's flip flops [pictured right]. They are so comfortable, perfect for spring/summer, and come with little accents to dress them up a bit," offers Pearl, a 29-year-old LA-based music industry diva. "I wear flip flops everywhere and I always feel like such a bum in them. But when I wear these flops that have a little rhinestone accent, I get compliments all day long. They are very inexpensive and definitely worth the money. I wear them all spring/summer long.

My other springtime must have is a thin black sweater/cardigan that can go over a tank or dress. My favorite sweater is from some random store in NYC so I have no clue on label or where to find it, but basically it's made of super thin, soft black cotton. I love this thing, I have to have it with me at all times. LA spring weather moves from 80 degrees and gorgeous to chilly and overcast in a blink. And that shivering girl look is not so cute."

REEF Seaside Womens Sandals - Brown
Reef "Seaside" Sandal

$19.99
Available at: tillys.com

Agreed. Shivering is not a look to shoot for. And, it looks like you're not the only one who craves some fabulous flip flops for spring.

"Spring brings out more fun fashion-- brighter colors that we seem to be able to enjoy and accessorize a bit more," says Kim V., a 47-year-old from sunny Orange County, California. "Living in Southern California, where we have a tendency to dress more on the casual end, my must have purchases are a variety of sandals every Spring and Summer ranging in height, color, casual, dressy. Casual fun sandals to look for are Reef & Roxy, they are certain to have a fun variety of colors for summer to match any tank top of your choice."

Lotta Stensson peacock jersey 'Basic' wrap dress
Lotta Stensson Wrap Dress

$72.00 (was $120-- save 40%!)
Available at: bluefly.com

"My Spring must-haves are dresses. I love how practical dresses are. You never have to figure out what top to wear: just put it on with some cute sandals, grab a light cardigan on the way out the door, and your set," offers 24-year-old Kim M. "What I usually do when I know it's going to be a long day is pack a pair of cute heels with me so I can transform the dress from day time to night time in split second. I love wrap dresses for the spring because they keep me cool in the warm San Diego weather. They look very good on everyone because they have that polished, sophisticated look.

I also definitely stock up on cute sandals for the spring time. For me its the time of the year I get to relax my feet and let the toes out from their winter hibernation. I like bright colored sandals. I bought myself a turquoise, bronze, and white pair of sandals that go with every thing. They really spice up my dresses, especially because of all of them have some great metal or stone accents on them. I like my practical sandals from Roxy, but I also like to dress it up with some Giuseppes. I love how they are absolutely hot shoes that come in flats or easy to walk in wedges."

Well, there you have it. Real world spring fashion must-haves from real world fashionistas. Now, time to shop. Click on any photo or linked text to link directly to where you can purchase that spring must have, as picked by the Stiletto Jungle Girl Talk panel, online.

Related Stories:
>> How-To: Snag A Quick Warm Weather Look
>> How-To: Get Sexy Legs for Spring
>> SALE: Kors Michael Kors Fisherman Sandal 48% Off